Sunday, April 17, 2011

Venice

There is a 10.05 Euro, 9:18 train from Trieste to Venice and I have been on that train twice in as many months.  Back at the beginning of March, a huge group of us ventured out for Carnevale.  Italy is obviously a Catholic country, so the beginning of lent is a big deal, and Venice hosts one of the biggest celebrations.  

We got our faces painted...

 We threw (and dodged) confetti...

 We gawked at the beautiful costumes and masks...

 The theme this year was "Renaissance."

And then we slept on the way home.

 Just under a month later, a smaller group headed back.  This adventure started when I received a phone call Friday night informing me that I was "expected" in Venice the next day.  Fortunately, I didn't have any plans I couldn't reschedule, so off we went, in search of the Ruyi as part of a grand scavenger hunt crossed with "choose your own adventure" crossed with awesome.

We read legends of Venice...

Solved puzzles... (MadAdder at your service!)


Discovered hidden beauties under tiny porticos off of little streets leading from back piazzas...

Browsed the coolest bookstore... 

Which was also home to this amusing sign...

And reveled in exploring the other, relatively tourist-free side of a lovely city on a beautiful day.

 My next (tentative) trip to Venice is almost exactly a month after this one, and I'm already excited!  What sort of adventure will it bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment